Seeking care and support for yourself or a loved one can be daunting, challenging and, at times, overwhelming. The first thing you need to know is that you are not alone on this journey.
Offering centre-based day and flexible respite, personal care, house cleaning, meal and transport assistance, shopping and social support, ,home maintenance and minor modifications and much more, Noosa Community Support is here to help both carers and their loved ones.
The principle of wellness and reablement underpins the work at NCS – which assumes that everyone has the capacity to improve. We plan services in partnership with clients and their carers, focussing and building on what people can do, whilst also acknowledging the things they find challenging. NCS aims to improve and develop an individual’s capacity to undertake activities, and where this is not achievable, to maintain their current capacity.
Noosa Community Support is a Noosa Council service and receives funding from various government sources:
- The Federal Government’s Department of Health and Aging provides funding for NCS services to clients aged over 65 years (or 50 years and over for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people).
- Home Assist Secure is funded by the Queensland Government’s Department of Housing and Public Works.
This service provides low cost targeted assistance to help eligible, older people or people with a disability, who hold a Pensioner Concession Card, to remain living safely in their own home.
Noosa Community Support Centre at Noosaville, offers a wide range of wellness and social activities that are fun, healthy and entertaining. Included is either morning or afternoon tea.
Social Support Group activities provide interaction for clients who feel isolated whilst at the same time provide respite for carers. The centre operates 5 days per week (with the exception of public holidays) generally within the hours of 9.00am to 3.00pm. Clients and their carers are more than welcome to participate together or the carer can leave their loved one at the Centre and take some respite by going shopping, paying bills, joining our coffee groups, attending exercise classes at Noosa Leisure Centre or visiting the local Noosaville Library. So why don’t you drop off your loved one at NCS Centre to have some fun while you go out and about to have some well earned fun and respite.
Other social and wellness groups that operate around the Shire are available at Cooroy, Noosa, Pomona and Peregian Beach. Activities are similar to those that are run from our Noosaville Centre and morning or afternoon tea is provided.
A wide range of activities that include entertainers, outings, BBQs, high teas, Indoor/outdoor games, commemorative events, guest speakers, dementia specific activities and a lot more are available.
Other activities and classes on offer are:
• Seniors computer classes: In conjunction with Noosa Library, clients are assisted to utilise electronic devices, including iPads, Tablets, laptops, desktops and mobile phones. Classes are run either in a group setting or one-to-one depending on the need.
• The Workshop: Open to all clients who still enjoy the sound of a hammer and creating through woodwork. Cooroora Woodworkers Club Inc. work in collaboration with NCS, ensuring the items made are returned to the community.
• Manicures, Pedicures & Podiatry: Trained staff offer manicures and pedicures to clients and a qualified external podiatrist provides treatments for any complex podiatry issues.
• Carer’s Support Group: Carers coffee groups are held regularly and often include guest speakers on a range of topics or Op shopping, attending musical events and day trips.
• Shopping groups: Small group shopping trips in the Hinterland area can be arranged. Trips include a cuppa and a chat, in addition to picking up groceries.
A nominal fee is charged for all the above services. This allows NCS to expand and/or enhance their services. To check eligibility and obtain further information please contact the Centre or go to NCS website.
The Noosa Home Assist Secure service provides free safety related information, referrals and subsidised assistance to eligible clients unable to undertake or pay for critical maintenance services. Eligible clients may also be able to access financial contributions relating to labour costs for minor home maintenance, repairs, modifications, falls, prevention and home security. Home Assist Secure is a State Government funded program delivered through Noosa Council by Noosa Community Support.
For information on eligibility and general enquiries contact the Home Assist Secure team on 5329-6181.
Noosa Community Support provides support to people who wish to remain living independently:
• Assistance for clients in their own homes, depending on individual needs and circumstances.
• Flexible respite care assistance is provided to a client in their own home when carers are unavailable.
• Daily personal self-care tasks for clients in their own homes: getting in and out of bed, bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, eating, moving around the house etc.
• Social support including shopping, paying bills, accessing community facilities and going out for a chat and a cuppa. Transport is available as part of this in home service delivery.
• Domestic assistance including general house cleaning, bed making, pegging out laundry, cooking, and unaccompanied shopping or errands.
• NCS staff can connect clients with Allied Health Services including Podiatry, Physiotherapy, Counselling, Psychologists and Occupational Therapy.
There is a cost per service and a mileage cost for transport. All fees are discussed with clients and carers at the time of assessment.
Volunteer drivers use their own vehicles to transport clients to community groups and medical appointments between the Sunshine Coast, Gympie and Brisbane. Clients are collected from their homes, assisted to their appointments and returned home again.
Clients pay a nominal fee for transport for these trips, which is used to reimburse the volunteer drivers for their expenses.
Council Cabs is a Noosa Council initiative to offer affordable transport service for people aged 60 and over and people with a disability, including people with a mobility impairment (DSP concession card holders) For more information click here.
Our wonderful Volunteers
The volunteer staff at Noosa Community Support (NCS) are integral to the service, their support is invaluable.
Volunteers undertake a wide range of activities alongside NCS staff members. For example, driving individuals/groups of clients to various locations around the Noosa Shire, or taking clients to medical appointments outside of the area; those with ‘green fingers’ can assist with the horticultural classes in the beautiful garden; for volunteers who love to cook, a helping hand is always welcome in the kitchen; and simply having a chat and a cuppa with clients helps to make their day very enjoyable too.
Volunteering at NCS is extremely rewarding, and the hours are flexible to suit individuals.
If you would like more information about volunteering with us, simply click here to call or email us. An NCS team member will contact with you for an informal, obligation-free discussion.